Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Extra Miles? Oh, my gosh!

Hey, Gang!

Happy Holiday Weekend!  Just wanted to let you all know I didn't fall off the face of the internet this week.  I did my run last Sunday after a 2 week break for this issue with a muscle or whatever it is on the inside of my leg.

My run was great, I felt great until about mile 13.  Then I could feel the leg hurting slightly again.  I began to take it easy and didn't care if I was out there all day, I was bound and determined to do my 18 miles.  I read signs, smiled at people, and cleared my mind of issues that would no doubt slow me down.

I believe it was somewhere around mile 14 when I realized I miscalculated my drive the day before and had to run a path 2 times, I was so confused when I got to the Kangaroo again and said, "Oh S***, I have to go extra miles."  There was no turning back to make anything quicker.  Bottom line, I accidentally did 19.8 miles, may as well say 20!

While I was out there (total time with many stops 5 hours, run/walk time 4 hours 15 minutes) I certainly had enough coolers set around so I was happy about that, only one bathroom was closed but wasn't a big issue.  I was feeling a bit exhausted and hurting and wishing it was the marathon day so that I could rest for a long time.  I thought to myself at one point, "Why am I doing this?"  And then tears welled up in my eyes, “I'm doing this in memory of not only my husband, who was my closest and dearest friend. But also in memory of many others and of course a big time reason TO HELP FIND THIS CURE AND TO BE ABLE TO CELEBRATE WITH THE TEAM WHEN THE CURE IS FOUND!”

The 20 miles was a bit much for my newly healed leg, so again this week I've been doing cross training.  I joined an indoor pool facility where they have buoyancy belts for pool running, it's quite the workout.  I've been told that I will not be hampered as far as range of motion or endurance and that by race time will most definitely be ready to run, listening to my feet hit the pavement, listening to my breaths in and out and believing with all of you there is always HOPE.  I am determined!

Think of me for 3 hours of lap swimming and pool running, I already did 12 miles on the bike and now off to swim.

God bless all of you this weekend.  Have a safe and memorable holiday.

(Labor Day 2009)

No comments: