Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Peseverance

I certainly am not the only person with such challenges.  But I do like to share when my challenges arise and what I've done to overcome them.

Yesterday I jumped in the pool to do pool running and lap swimming. Much to my dismay my shoulder, neck, and hand hurt so badly from the fall that I could only stay in  for 30 minutes.  I was incredibly discouraged. 

I was actually talking out loud to Bill while I was in the pool and said, “I need to be better, I need a healthy body, I want to run for you and all the others.”

 I left the pool having great hope that the sports therapist I had an appointment with would do the trick.  I dropped my bike off for repairs from the fall and off I went.

I had made the appointment only because of my leg. When I got there and he saw the bandages from the bike accident I said,  "There's a few extra things that need to be taken care of."  (ha!)

I was there for one hour. He worked on my leg for a good 20 to 30  minutes and released that intense knot.  He massaged my neck and helped put my shoulder and hips where they belong. And then he said, "I want you to run tomorrow about 4 miles. If the pain is bad, then stop and walk and we'll do this again."

Excitement kept me smiling all the rest of the day. I had no pain in my leg at all.

This morning I was apprehensive about putting my feet on the pavement; I didn't want anymore pains in my body.  It took me awhile but then I carefully put my armband on over top of the dressing that covered the area where the skin was scraped off. I wrapped my left leg in an ace bandage to keep the muscle from tighening up again.  I held the water bottle in my sprained left hand. I was quite a sight. 

I began with a walk

And then I did it.  I ran!  I was so happy. I didn't sprint, but I did do 11.5 mm for 5 miles on the street and I felt great all over. Well, except for the scrapes and many bruises but my leg felt great. 

23 days off my leg and I'm back on the street.  The awesome feeling of running outside kept my mind focused, in the pool I do get hot and worn out but it's not the same feeling of the sun beating on your body and the sweat running over your face and feeling the release of stress each time your feet hit the ground.

This entire experience with Team in Training has been one that I will never in my life forget.

Today, I'm thankful for so much.   In just 3 weeks our team is running in a marathon that's 26.2 MILES and I'm proud to say, I'm part of the team!
We will achieve the ultimate goal someday soon, which is to fund the research and so they will show us the cure!

PUSH,  with the utmost desire to succeed - You will, in fact, do so!

(written on 9/22/09)

No comments: